View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
(snip)...As a referee, I think the ONLY thing he might have done is walk over to the sideline (and I mean to the team box) and the coach would likely follow him to continue the discussion. Problem with this is that once it happens once, a coach expects it a lot more and the other team may feel like the Referee is being worked.
REPLY: Mike, I respectfully disagree with the idea of the R going over to Stoops. Maybe--and only maybe--during a break in the action where the network is in a TV timeout, but never ever stopping the clock or delaying the ready to do so. The one problem you cite is certainly valid. The other is that if Stoops has a "rule" issue, he has a mechanism at his disposal to speak with the R, i.e. a head coach's conference, similar to the Fed's coach-referee conference. If his issue is with an official's judgement, I would never disrupt the game flow to discuss that with a coach near his sideline. It sets a very dangerous precedent. The worse thing you can show a coach is that his improper behavior results in his getting what he wants--in this case an opportunity to speak his mind to the R. Just my opinion...