View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby
JRutledge, you're awful touchy about the subject...with that attitude you are obviously a men's official.
You have to be touchy to have an opinion? Is the NBA not Men's Basketball? I think most of what the NCAA Women's do, comes directly from the NBA. The WNBA follows because they of course are owned by who......The NBA. The difference between the NBA and WNBA, the WNBA plays during the summer (when no one cares about basketball) and the officials that work the Final Four on the Women's side, can go right to WNBA a few weeks later. Kind of a different dynamic.

Quote:

1. Chuck can defend himself.
Obviously you have not been here long enough to realize that I would not defend Chuck.

Quote:

2. I never said it was an inappropriate question. In fact, I already apologized if I misinterpreted the quesiton.
O......Kaaaayyyy.

Quote:

3. I never said one way was better than the other.
OOOOOO.....Kaaaayyyy.

Quote:

4. Why is keeping an 'identity' so important? It's definitely not about which group does it better. Shouldn't each group being making changes for the betterment of their game, not so they can be different?
For one, you need to look around the sporting world. Things that are done at the pro level do not translate to the lower levels. Why? Because there is not the same training and same experience level of the players and coaches. And the NCAA in theory is trying to focus on something completely different than the NBA or WNBA is. At least on the Men's side.

Quote:
All sides from HS through the NBA/WNBA are guilty of this. They don't want to be looked at as being a follower. Very few seem to do (or not do it) to make the game better. If the only justification you can make is 'to keep an identity' then that isn't right.
Not all of us look toward the NBA for tips on how to officiate. There rules are different, the mechanics are different and the expectations and missions are different than the NCAA. I do not know about you, I cannot even watch most games in the NBA. I would rather have a surgery. Now, since you have assumed that everyone that wants to officiates Men's basketball thinks all Men's basketball is the bomb, then you have a lot to learn. And if you were around long enough, I was being kind. Why watch a game that is 8 minutes longer and the scores are in the 80s just like the NCAA.

Peace