View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Without consulting the book...here goes.

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
This came up on the baseball board, and I'm wondering what the softball people think. This is my own version:

Abel on 3B, Baker on 2B, Charles on 1B, 2 out. Daniels grounds to F5, who snags the ball moving to his left and decides to tag Baker for the third out. Baker starts back toward 2B and stops. Abel scores. As F5 is moving to tag Baker, Charles rounds 2B and subsequently passes Baker. F5 then tags Baker.

Does Abel's run score?
The third out happens when Charles passes Baker. This is a timing play, not a force. Score the run.

Quote:

Variations:

(1) Baker retreats to 2B. Abel scores. Charles passes Baker. F5 tags Baker, who is standing on 2B.
Same answer as above.

Quote:

(2) F5 elects to tag 3B. Abel scores. Charles passes Baker. F5 tags 3B.
Same as above.
Quote:

In theory, when Charles passes Baker, the force on Baker is removed, and thus the out on Baker creates a time play regarding Abel's run. But there's something about the offense erring and gaining an advantage that just doesn't seem right.

How would you call it?

I'm not following your question. In your original scenario, there were two outs at the start of the play. Once Charles passes Baker, the inning is over. I don't see how the offense is gaining any advantage by the trail runner passing the preceding runner. The defense has the option of putting out the BR going to first, thus not allowing any runs to score.