View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Today was one of those days for me. I did four games in total, two CYO games (out of the association) in the morning and a girls JV and varsity game in the afternoon and I had a tough time with my partners. In the morning, I worked with a generally untrained official who didn't know what the travel rule was. The guy called phantom travels (I know because at least two of them were in my area) the whole game, including 3 times in the final minute of a close game. There was no flow to that game at all.

Speaking of no flow, my partner for the HS games was even worse. The quality of play was, in those games, not top of the line. My partner was a vet who said he has 15 years experience at the HS level, but doesn't do a lot of games anymore and he didn't look it. The guy called every ticky tack infraction, particularly against one team. In the varsity game, the starting five for one team fouled out and we called a total of about 60 fouls (I called about 1/5 of the total fouls), which is unbelievable and totally unacceptable to me. Also, the guy was signalling three-point attemps at the top of the key from the lead and at one point came across the court to tell a coach to stay in the coaches box when he was asking me a question. Sorry for rambling, but I would like some opinions on how I should handle partners like these.