View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Now, as to the call(s) to be made in this case.

I agree with MTD. It is my opinion that you can't have both an illegal substitution and 6 participating at the same time. One act, one penalty.

However, I can't see that continuous motion would apply here unless that sub was superman. As someone else said and assuming teams were on the correct ends of the floor, there is no way that B6 could have entered the floor while A1 was in the shooting motion and have made it to A1 to block the shot.

Given that the shot was blocked, B6 must have been on the floor before the shot was started. If you call the entry to the floor, the ball is dead....no shot...and noone is participating. If you choose not to call that (and I wouldn't), the ball remains live and you have 6-players. I'm going to let A get the shot off and ignore, temporarily, any oddball infraction.

We have a precedent for this in the casebook where coach B says something to an official that warrants a T while A is on an undefended break. The casebook says to hold the whistle, let A score, then bang coach B.

If there was ANY contact, I'd also call a shooting foul.

For that matter, if you really wanted to find ways to push up the FT count, you could probably find someone else one the floor making contact and charge them with a common foul. Asuming the bonus, that would give some FTs.

All that said, I'd say that this is really not covered by te rules and invoke 2-3. I'd count the bucket and call a single flagrant T on B6.

I liken it to goaltending on the FT. The ball was illegally contacted during a shot. All other cases of the ball being illegally contacted during a shot are considered goaltending or basket interference.