View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 05:06pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Over the years (32 years to be exact) I have had a sixth player run onto the court illegally, because he/she thought that they were supposed to be in the game. Everytime this has happened, my partner(s) and I have come to the conclusion that charging two technical fouls is overkill. If the official sees the player illegally enter the court, then this is the technical foul that should be charged. If the official does not see that player illegally enter the court but sees six players on the court, then charge the team with a technical foul for too many players. But it has been my belief and the opinion of many of my friends that two technical fouls are overkill.
A 2nd T may have been overkill in that situation, but I don't think it is here, Mark. I frankly don't care how we get there, but if B6 runs on the court and interferes with the shot, I'm shooting at least 4 free throws, possibly 5. If I tell the coach I've got one T for subbing without being beckoned and another for playing with 6 players, he doesn't have any complaint based on the rules. If he gets too lippy about it, we'll have 4 more for direct T's on the coach. I somehow doubt that he's going to challenge me too hard on it, and I'm willing to bet that player has seen his last seconds of playing time.

Regardless, Mark, the beef with your post is that you say flatly that the solution offered is incorrect, but don't provide a rules basis for that opinion, other than the stated opinion that giving two T's is overkill in a completely different situation. The situations aren't comparable on that basis.

Adam [/B]

Hold on a minute. I never said that you could not have two technical fouls. I agree that there are and should be two technical fouls. And they are illegally entering the court and unsportsmanlike conduct. It a very big stretch to charge Team B with a technical foul for six players on the court too. Remember, if the officials saw B6 enter the court illegally, then the ball is dead per NFHS R6-S7-A7.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio