View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

I received word this morning that one of our veteran officials passed away Saturday night while officiating in a local Christmas tournament.

It seems that Mr. Waters (a fine football and basketball official) was working a three-man crew and was not feeling well. He asked to sit out during the third quarter and let the two other officals finish the game.

While sitting on the sidelines Mr. Waters collapsed and died. It is a shock to our community and especially to our officals association. He was only 38 years of age and seemed to be in great health.

Even though this was the championship game of the tourney, the game was called and everyone was sent home.

Mr. Waters was a fine Christian and family man who was endeared by all who knew him. I always was amazed when calling games with him, that everyone seemed to know him.

He was selected to call in the state football championships last season and he and I have called many state basketball tournament games together.

I was scheduled to call with him Monday night in another 30-team Christmas tournament.

I hope this would not be out of context to ask for other officals around the globe to offer prayers in support of his family.

He will be missed.

Life is hard ... God is good.

Thanks
David