View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 26, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

More on Hawai'i...

Our state motto is (English translation): "The Life of the Land is preserved in Righteousness". Perhaps Coach Jones as the highest paid State employee needs to take a closer look at this motto and apply its principles in his coaching life.

The nickname of the University of Hawaii football team used to be "The Rainbow Warriors". They used to wear bright green jerseys and their white helmets had a rainbow logo on each side. The rainbow was symbol of life and brotherhood: We have a saying here that goes something like this: "No rain-No rainbows" and "From water all things find life".

When Coach Jones came in the University paid a couple of consultants a tidy sum to redesign the uniforms and the logos and even the nickname.

Now they are called simply the "Warriors". The logo is now a stylized Polynesian "H" with tapa cloth design. And their colors are now black and green (black is more intimidating to opponents or so they claim)...

I can understand the black and green color scheme for Hawai'i. Black is the color of the lava rocks that form our land. And green is the lush vegetation that grows upon the land. Its a very powerful yin-yang mythology at work in this choice of colors. "Keiki o ka aina" means "children of the land" or native sons. So what better choice of colors than the natural colors of our great State. (Perhaps green, black and blue for the ocean and the sky would have been even a better choice but that is for the future is see).