View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree the dribble never ended. That being said, hear me out. It may be that we agree to disagree. A1 is no longer in control of the ball under 4-12-1 and 4-15-5. The ball has maintained backcourt status. A1, on the other hand, gained frontcourt status. Under 4-15-1, a dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control... When that control ended, under this scenario, unless A1 re-established himself in the backcourt and picked up the dribble again, you have a frontcourt player dribbling the ball in the backcourt. Player control ended when the dribble became interrupted. How is then any different than if you had A1 pass the ball from the backcourt. A1 in the frontcourt near the end line, instead of catching the ball bats the ball to the floor in the backcourt beginning a dribble. You immediately have a backcourt violation because A1 had frontcourt status and when the ball hit him, it had frontcourt status too. To me, this scenario is the same principle. A1's conrol ended the second the official ruled it an interrupted dribble (i.e. no player control of the ball although team control still exists). to me, A1 at that point becomes subject to the same rules, as far as backcourt/frontcourt go, as every one else on the floor does with respect to a ball with backcourt status. Agree? Disagree?