View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Oh I'll jump in and give it a shot. What you have is an interrupted dribble. Team control has never ended although player control has, by rule. (NFHS 4-12-1, 4-12-2, 4-15-5). Because of player control ending, A1 has front court status while the ball still has backcourt status. In my opinion, as soon as A1 touches the ball again, the ball gains front court status. A1 then re-establishes control and dribbles the ball in the backcourt. Once the ball touches A1 again after the first initial touching after the interrupted dribble, a backcourt violation occurs. If A1 merely touched the ball once and only once, you'd have nothing. It would be the same as if A2 had passed it from A's backcourt and it deflected off of A1 who was in A's frontcourt and went backcourt. Unless another A player is the first to touch it there, you have nothing. In this case, you had team control. The ball and the player had froncourt status (A1 touching the ball while A1's status was in the frontcourt gives the ball frontcourt status), A1 was the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt, first to touch the ball in the backcourt (the dribble of the ball re-established the ball's backcourt status (IMHO)). A weird play to be sure. Recognizing that player control ended on the interrupted dribble, to me is key.