View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I don't think Todd meant to insintuate that the player traveled.

Todd, unless a player intentionally leaves the floor to decieve an opponent or gain an advantage, you shouldn't call a T. This seems to be one of the most confusing technical fouls for many officials.
Right, I'm not talking about travelling. I'm talking about gaining player control by securing the ball before he goes out of bounds, then tossing it onto the court so he's not touching it when he IS out of bounds. Sounds like having controlled the ball, per se, before he went OOB is not a problem, but controlling it WHILE he touches OOB (like during a dribble) is the violation. Otherwise, he's OK depending on what he does with the ball. Oh, and I wasn't thinking "T" at all, since I'm talking about MOMENTUM carrying him OOB.

Bob, thanks for the reference to last year's book. THAT'S where I saw it. I'll grab that book out of my other office today and take a look. Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm covering these situations at our meeting tonight (on the court, rather than in a meeting room), and wanted to be able to back up what I'm telling people.

[Edited by Todd VandenAkker on Jan 22nd, 2001 at 11:09 AM]