View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I see no mention of dribble in sit #2. As far as I am concerned, as long as he in legally back inbounds, he can touch it.

Maybe it is one of those "gotta see it" things, but what is the difference between a "fumble" and #2? I don't see one.
Tossing the ball is not a fumble. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control.

Quote:
2) Same situation, but A1 controls the ball with both hands while still running (and contacting the floor), then tosses it softly so it stays on the court ....

Brian,
I read that as player control. Holding, or dribbling.
mick
Yes, that is player control. But when he tosses the ball, he no longer has player control. Therefore, it's legal to go out unintentionally and come back in and be the first to touch the ball.

I don't think Todd meant to insintuate that the player traveled. He can run while he's holding the ball if he only takes one or two steps, depending on where his feet were when he caught the ball.

Todd, unless a player intentionally leaves the floor to decieve an opponent or gain an advantage, you shouldn't call a T. This seems to be one of the most confusing technical fouls for many officials. But a little common sense would go a long way. There's no T in this sitch.

Tony

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith