View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
With apologies to J. Dallas Shirely, I teach my students to never say "on the floor."

To say "on the floor" is meaningless. When a player is fouled, he/she is either in the act of shooting or not in the act of shooting. A player can be in contact with the floor and still be in the act of shooting. I do not have my NFHS or CCA officials manuals in front of me, but the correct procedure when calling a foul is:

1) The official should sound his whistle and signal the timer to stop the clock.

2) The official should step toward the player who committed the foul and call out his/her color and number.

3) If free throws are not to be shot, the official should signal the spot and direction of the throw-in and announce the color of the team making the throw-in.

4) If free throws are to be shot, the official should announce the number of free throws and announce to his partner(s) the color and number of the free throw shooter.

If this protocol is followed there is no confusion as to what type of foul was committed.
Mark,

My question is, as officials, are we allowed to ONLY use those phrases, labels, terms etc. found in our NF books and nothing else? I don't think that is the aim or goal of those involved in setting the rules and GUIDELINES. Although I agree that we would probably be understood by most who saw us, we most likely would become very robotic (as pointed out in other comments) and our natural or even developed personalities and communication skills would be lost.

Our task is SO much about communication. A certain amount of our individuality and personality should be allowed to shine forth. As in most things, moderation seems to provide the best outcomes.