View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
So I was just wondering how often most of you vets see IPs that are called or warned in a season??
I rarely see pitching infractions in travel ball, but I probably see some pitching infraction every other game in rec ball, and when I see it, there are usually several during that game.

The only IP I called in a game of import last season was in an 18U NQ. I was on the bases and I called the pitcher for foreign substance on the ball. She would routinely grab a handful of dirt, appear to wipe it off, and then proceed with the pitch. What I didn't see until there was a runner on 2nd was that she was faking wiping it off. She would grab the dirt, and then swing her hand by her shorts but not quite touch. After seeing this the second time, I called it, since I judged she was intentionally applying dirt to the ball. I leave to the physicists to tell me whether applying a bit of dirt to a 12" softball can have any effect on its flight over 35 or so feet, but it is illegal and it did seem to be intentional.

In rec, the majority of the infractions are hand related, not foot. Double touching and no touching. Most of these pitchers have a hard time getting consistent strikes, so the last thing the game needs is another excuse for calling a ball. My usual practice is to discuss it quietly with the pitcher's coach at the half inning, admonishing him to not cause his pitcher to fret during the game, but to work on it at their next practice. Usually, it appears to be nerviousness or careless motions; technically illegal, but not causing any other problems.