View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2001, 12:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
Hypotheticals:

1) A1 leaps from inbounds, gains control of the ball while in the air (from a pass), then tosses the ball into the court before momentum carries him OOB. He quickly returns to the court, and is the first to touch the ball again.

2) Same situation, but A1 controls the ball with both hands while still running (and contacting the floor), then tosses it softly so it stays on the court while his momentum carries him OOB. He again is the first to touch the ball again inbounds.

I'm confident that situation #1 is legal (it's specifically mentioned on the NFHS web site), but am unclear about #2 since I can't find a citation. Seems to me I read somewhere that a player who had last control of the ball while inbounds, then runs OOB, cannot be the first person to touch the ball when he returns onto the court. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find it in the Rules or Case books. I need "confirmation" one way or another for my association meeting on Monday night (1/22), so if anyone remembers seeing the interpretation of these (and similar) scenarios, I'd appreciate getting the specifics. Thanks guys (and gals)!
Sorry, Todd,
But a player leaving the court voluntarily without an intent to deceive is not in the Rule Book.
The only confirmations I have that say it is okay is because Bob Jenkins and Tony say it is so.
mick