View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I can't seem to get a good understanding of the ASA rule, nor do I have an ASA new rule book. Can I get some clarification as to what bat's will be legal for High School, ASA, and AFA. I am buying a nice bat for my daughter who will be playing in those organizations and would like for here to be able to use it wherever she plays. I also will be umpiring for those organizations and would like clarification myself.
Does this mean that the ASA official rule will be for High School also? Is there a reference to BESR like the boys have? I don't see it. From what I can tell, any bat with the 2004 stamp is legal and any bat that is on the *Certified Equipment* list that has the ASA2000 stamp. Is that right?

Does this mean that the rules are going to change before or during the season?

. Could I get your interpretation on this? I am trying to understand what bats will be legal in primarily High School, but also ASA and AFA. Any help would be appreciated, as I am trying to purchase a bat for all three and I umpire all three organizations.

I took this straight off the NFHS website

http://www.nfhs.org/press/softball_rules_changes03.html

In other changes, Rule 2-4-3 adds a definition for a banned bat, which is not currently covered in the Softball Rules Book. The NFHS follows the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) standards for softball bats. Under ASA standards, all bats must pass a performance test to be approved for use. ASA has banned bats that were once approved, but no longer meet the performance specifications.

I took this straight from the ASA website
http://www.asasoftball.com/about/cer..._equipment.asp
The official bat in ASA Championship Play must meet all of the requirements of Rule 3, Section 1 and:

must bear either the ASA approved 2000 certification mark or the ASA 2004 certification mark as shown below, and must not be listed on an ASA Banned Bat List unless it also bears an ASA approved re-certification mark shown below, or

must be included on a list of approved bat models published by the ASA National Office; or
must, in the sole opinion and discretion of the umpire, have been manufactured prior to 2000 and if tested, would comply with the ASA bat performance standards then in effect.
Beginning January 1, 2004, all bats in ASA Championship Play must pass the ASA 2004 bat standard. All bats having the 2004 certification mark will be allowed in ASA Championship Play. Bats that have the 2000 certification mark will not be allowed in ASA Championship Play unless they are listed on an approved bat list on the ASA website. For convenience, the ASA website has a listing of bats that do not pass the ASA 2004 bat standard.

Further from the ASA website;
"Manufacturers continue to submit additional bat models for testing, and the ASA will update this list as test results become available."

This off the TASO website;
http://www.intra-focus.com/TASO/00C2...2B47FC285C.htm
"As we all know, there is a list from the ASA which contains names of the manufacturers and the model of the bat. To get that list, please Click Here and you'll be taken to the ASA website for the up-to-date list. Please remember that for a bat on that list to be considered legal, it MUST have an ASA Recertification Mark (embossed -- NOT a sticker) on it in addition to the ASA Certification Mark. Be sure you match the name exactly as it is written on the list as some bats have been modified slightly on the model number to meet the current specifications (i.e., the Worth "3DX" is not legal unless it has both the Certification and the Recertification marks on it, but the Worth "3DX(Fastpitch)" IS legal with only the ASA Certification Mark on it because it does not match the model number exactly as it is listed on the ASA list of banned bats.)"

Mainly wanting to know if this is *set in stone* or subject to change between now and the season.

Any help in clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

Peace, Mike