View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

About a 100 games last year, high school varsity through beginning state tournaments, some sub-varsity. A few summer tournaments, up to 18U. Finished with adult rec league, which included several local college teams and several D-1 college players. Other than one game, didn’t call any IP’s.

Summer tournament, pitcher from out-of-state 18U team was warming up with stride foot landing outside 24” limit. Went out to discuss it with her; coaches got into an uproar; I finally shut them up so I could start game. Called at least a dozen IP in first half of 1st inning, runners steadily moving around the bases. Absolute bedlam until TD told coaches they were wrong. Then pitcher moved her pivot foot over a few inches and issue was over (foot was still wide, but was landing on the line so she was legal).

For sub-varsity and 12U pitchers with delivery problems, I am usually tolerant. Tell coaches what I will allow and they are generally OK.

Above that I have never seen a crow hop, though some pitchers that slide their pivot foot occasionally show some air under the foot. A warning suffices and I generally don’t see it again. A lot of girls are now throwing a slider back into the batters and are landing wide. But their entire foot has to be outside the 24” and, other than the aforementioned pitcher, the rest are pushing the limit, but are not over.

At least 50% of the leap ‘n drag pitcher I see have air under their pivot foot. As long as it is an inch or two and they are landing within 6 - 12” off the plate and going into an immediate drag, I am not calling the leap. (Note: I have studied a lot of slow-motion videotape and am convinced that pitchers are not establishing a second push when the pivot foot lands, so no CH. I see that a foot lands, twists; kick up a puff of dust, and immediately drags behind the body. )

Now I suppose that someday I am going to see a pitcher that really gets up in the air or lands a long way out. It will be so obvious it will have to be called. But I am not sure we can get through the season if we are going to call all the “little” leaps.

WMB