View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It's not the number of calls or the type that is the issue. It's the inconsistency. If I'm the BU, watching the pitcher as I should, and call the crow hop(s), but the next umpire does not call the same move or even watch; that's the problem. Yes, we all differ on being able to see the space between the foot and the plate, but we all can see repeated plants 6 inches off the plate. It doesn't matter if Cat is too quick for us, there are thousands of pitchers who aren't that quick.
Why, you say. It is the widespread philosophy that the best call is a no-call and that calling IP is "asking for trouble", lengthens the game, can't be proven, biases your assignments, isn't wanted by the teams, etc.

In 50 - 100 FP games; I see a lot more non-touches than double touches, a few outside the width, mostly pushoffs off the plate and a fair number of leaps. Probably 2 - 3 per game, except for the few pitchers who insist on continuing IP after it's called.