View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

For those that may not know, we have debated this play for years on the forum.

A1 is at the spot for a baseline throw-in.
He throws the ball but B1 touches the ball after the release, but before it crosses the baseline plane. The ball hits the floor OOB. Is this a technical foul or simply a violation by B1 for deflecting the ball OOB.

Many thought it was a T, because the penalty section of 9-2 stated, "If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball, a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required."

Still others felt that it was not a T, the "touches or dislodges the ball" meant that the ball had to still be in the possession of the thrower for a T to be warranted. After all, the rule allows the defender to break the plane after the ball is released. What's the prupose of breaking the plane if not to touch the ball? My buddy, the woodchuck, was on one side of this discussion and I was on the other.

In any case, there is an "unannounced change to this year's book?"

If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.

Now, I can go to my grave a happy man.