Thread: Goodbye Coach
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef

1. I made a bad call. Looked like girl had possession and fell to her knees, I called a walk, coach started screaming.

2. From this point on coach doesn't let up. Every call I make he gives it to me.

3. He is screaming for a walk.

4. As I go by, I say "Coach, you should really learn the rules".

5. I should have walked away and not given the coach the 2nd T. I was so shaken up, I didn't have my head in the rest of the game and blew a few more calls I'm sure.
Well, I am sure to get blasted, but here is my humble opinions.

In situation 1, so you made a bad call. What is important is what you did afterward. You checked with your partner who offered that you may have missed it. No problem. Learn from it and move on. My concern is the coach started screaming.

In situation 2, might have been a good time to give a "stop sign," letting the coach know that was enough.

In situation 3...well, see number 2.

#4. Love the comment, but probably not the right thing to say. Of course, I was not there and do not know all that was involved. However, I would offer (again, IMHO). Try to keep comments "non-personal" when dealing with a coach. For example, maybe next time try, "Coach, that is not what I saw," or "Coach, I didn't see it that way."

5. I would agree with your partner on this one. Maybe walking away would have been better. But, were you able to walk away? Sometimes, we can not simply walk away. I believe the shots should have been attempted at the end of halftime, since the 2nd qtr had ended. But not sure.

Overall, I have one question. Where and what was your partner doing during all of this? If the coach is screaming at you or giving it to you pretty hard, your partner can step in and try to work out what is going on. Additionally, try and go to your partner and let him/her know what is going on, and see if they can offer anything.

Overall, sounds like you had a dickens of a game. These happen. Learn from it, realize what you could have done better and apply it next time. It sounds as if the coach wanted to go or just had it with what was going on.

I think often that when coaches are this upset, a partner can go over and get with him and ask him, "What is bothering you so much that you must continue to scream at the other official." Then work on that.

Don't give up!