Thread: Goodbye Coach
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Thumbs down

First year ref. Rough Saturday. Had Freshman boys scrimmage (HS does not start real games until this Friday)at 10am and independent games at 1 (4th & 5th grade girls) and another after (7th & 8th grade girls). Did well in Freshman scrimmage (at least both coaches said good game, no complaints). Also did well in first game. I was by myself as my partner got held up at another HS scrimmage. Again both coaches said good game (knowing it was hard to do a game alone). Last game what a nightmare! We were on a tile floor and both teams were fairly physical. I made a bad call. Looked like girl had possession and fell to her knees, I called a walk, coach started screaming. Next dead ball I asked partner and he said she didn't have possession, wasn't a walk but not to worry about it. From this point on coach doesn't let up. Every call I make he gives it to me. One time shot goes up, is blocked, rolls on top of the backboard, comes down, no whistle, he goes ballistic. I tell him it's not OOB, finally his asst agrees, game goes on. Another time other team's girl receives ball, takes a step (pivot never comes down) and passes. He is screaming for a walk. As I go by, I say "Coach, you should really learn the rules". He screams "I know all the rules, you need to learn them". Half time comes, he walks up to me and says "You are the worst ref I have ever seen" I "T" him up. He says "good, go ahead". I give him 2nd T and point to the exit. He screams more, I go over to the score table and tell them 2 Technicals. 4 shots to be taken after half time (other team was half way in locker room) and ball to same team after the shots. Partner says we should have shot the Ts right then, and I should have walked away and not given the coach the 2nd T. I was so shaken up, I didn't have my head in the rest of the game and blew a few more calls I'm sure.

Just looking for some help from you experienced guys. What would you have done and how would you have handled the situation? I really felt like just hanging it up after that. Good thing I had 2 good games on Sunday with some praise from the coaches afterwards (and a great partner) or I'd still feel that way.