Thread: Six Players
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Six Players

Quote:
Jeff, no rule says that. Further, it didn't happen in the first half and we're now discovering it in the second half. The official recognized the infraction within seconds of the team requesting a timeout. If the ball had gone OOB and he recognized it during the dead ball, would it be a T. Of course it would. This is no different. Even though this is a dead ball, there are still 6 players in the game for Team A.

Mark keeps talking about Team B telling the officials that Team A has six players on the floor. First, we know that isn't what happened in Eckert's original play but let's assume this:

Team A has six players on the floor. Team B's coach sees this but can't get the officials to see it. He requests a TO, which is granted, after which he tells the officials that Team A has six players in the game. That's a T, no matter how you shake it out.

And again, this play is no different.

EDIT: Let me say this guys. If I can get away without calling the T, I will. But by rule, I think the official at this game was correct.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 12th, 2003 at 09:16 PM]
BBR - Being practical, one side or the other calls time out, the three players on team A have already reached the bench . . . if you didn't have th 6 in the game to begin with, you're surely not going to take team B's word for it that Team A _had_ six players in the game. Don't you think that 'while the ball is live' is a good rule of thumb?