View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
Offensive PI was a point of emphasis in 2003. I'd like to see some similar emphasis placed on the defensive folks, specifically what is allowable by a defender when a receiver is trying to run a route, making no attempt to block the defender, and the defender continues to make contact. I think the rule is pretty clear, but there appears to be a number of coaches out there that think their DB can keep contacting the receiver until the ball is in the air.

On a rule-related note, I've had a number of people (non officials) ask me why kicks breaking the plane of the goal line are automatic touchbacks. I don't know the history of this rule. What was the original intent?

I agree with continuing to clarify the PSK language.
Can you tell me the rule that says the DB can't bump the reciever downfield? Once the ball is in the air he cannot, nor can he hold the receiver but last time I checked Fed ball is not played on Sundays. "Coach, you want that 5 yard chuck rule called, get a job in the pros."

I also would like them to clean up PSK. Also I would like the to specify the block below the belt in terms of shotgun formation as well as "continuation blocks". I had a coach say that if they engage a block high, then his player can "slide" down and cut the opposing player below the knees. A simple case book example would probably suffice saying it is a no-no.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.