Thread: at what point
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 12-26-1999 09:09 AM
Let's see, maybe there is something that I missed. The coach and official are 'arguing' over a call. The coach then gets a 'T', and the other official goes to tell the coach to SIT on the bench and then the coach continues to argue and finally get the 2nd 'T'. I call that poor officiating.

No coach should be told to 'SIT' . . . when you have to explain one call to a coach, then you'll have to explain another call to the opposing coach.

Also, coaches are allowed to STAND to 'coach' and not to argue and address any official.

With all due respect . . .

I think there are quite a few things you ADDED. The original post didn't say ther were arguing (in fact, if you check it, it actually said "neither the coach nor the ref were arguing"), you simply focused on that word. In addition, although there may have been a second technical called, that is not stated in the original post either - you simply assumed one was called. I call that poor reading comprehension.

I couldn't disagree with you more on explaining rules to coaches. For me, it falls under "preventive officiating." If I move to report a foul and a coach has a question or is asking for an explanation in a reasonable or respectful way, I have no problem providing one. But I'm not conducting a clinic out there - it's a word or two and I'm putting the ball back in play.

BTW, in Pennsylvania, a coach is not allowed to stand at all (except to call a time-out, confer with the scorer's table about a correctable error or a timing or scoring error, or to replace an injured or disqualified player). While I don't tell them to sit when I see a coach standing, I do give them a subtle hand gesture indicating my desire for them to return to the bench. If this upsets them, they get the technical they should have gotten when I first saw them standing (it is supposed to be automatic here in PA).

Good Luck!

Have a Safe and Happy New Year Everyone!

tmm

[This message has been edited by Todd (Mike) Mullen (edited December 26, 1999).]