View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
[B]Something kinna bothered me last night. A big time DI official showed up wearingh is NCAA Official windbreaker making comments about how "its great to see they put me at a level I can call" then dropping credentials about where he called last night (Big DI school) and all that ohter stuff.... what I'm really getting at, do some people really get that mentality? Theres this one guy in our assc. He's been calling some College ball, but only works sub-varsity and his college schedule. I admire that about him. One of the assignor, top rated offical in our area, great DI official, but he's the most humble person I've ever met. [B]
Ace --

I think there's a right way and an arrogant way to handle the situation this D1 ref was in. He handled it the wrong way. He's worried about what people will think if he's working "just" a 7th grade rec game. So he drops hints about all the other games he's done that are so much more important.

I've been told that there comes a point in your move up the ladder where you don't do much rec anymore because it hinders your higher level skills. But I've also seen some very high level refs (D2, D1) around here do an occasional rec league game to help out a friend for some reason. The ones I know knuckle under and do a great job, don't let on how important they are, and give a good word to the rookie they are working with. Find someone with that attitude in your area, and watch them. You'll see what you want to emulate as you move up yourself.