View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

...So this year I told my assignor that I would not accept any HS girls games below the Division 1 level. Why? Because I'm too good for them? No. Because I feel that other officials will be better served by working those games than I would be.

I hope that doesn't make me sound arrogant, but I wanted you to see the other side of the picture.
Chuck your points are right on and I am certain you are sincere in wanting to give others the opportunity to work Varsity games. However there are those officials that want, and are striving, and feel they are worthy to work the bigger level games. They may very well not be ready, but think they are. And they may see your unwillingness to work lower games as YOU SELECTING THE BIGGER GAMES FOR YOURSELF.

We have a few officials in our association that refuse to work girls games (same assigner for boys and girls and JH). Most are very good officials and they work just as many games as anyone else. Because they work only boys, the other officials are left with a greater quantity of girls and an occasional lower level boys game. They obviously feel slighted.

I myself, have just let the assigner make the decisions and have not placed any of my own personal restrictions. He knows who I'm compatible with and what level of games are appropriate for me... of course I feel slighted at times. (I work with him tomorrow for an upper level Varsity game and then I work a mid-level JV and a V game split on Wednesday, and a lowest level JV/V game split on Friday - all five girl's games). Of course I wish they were all the higher level and some of them boys games... oh well, it is still five games.

Happy days!