View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

To good for lower

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I find this discussion extremely interesting, because I see myself in there somewhere.

I am only scheduled to work varsity HS and above this season. I will work some youth games on Saturday mornings, but only because these are people I like working for -- I certainly don't look forward to the basketball itself.

For me, the excitement of working sports is the challenge it gives me. I am simply not challenged working JH basketball and therefore I do not enjoy it. When one would much rather be home than working a game, it is better that someone else works it. There are levels of baseball I feel the same way about.

Would I look nonchalant working a JH game? Probably. My mechanics are pretty sharp, but I do probably look quite a bit more relaxed than your typical JH official. Actually, I would probably get in more trouble because I would be trying to apply a varsity level of advantage/disadvantage and allowing quite a bit more contact than is customary at that level.

I think the worse thing you can do, Ace, is pass judgement on this D-I official. I have no idea why a D-I official is even working a JH game, but I do know that he can probably call a decent game even if he isn't going all the way under as lead. The experience does help.
All you guys have great comments, this is my fourteenth season during HS ball. I work JH games because it give me a chance to practice my signals. And, GOD KNOWS I need the exercise, but mostly because I don't want to ever forget the coaches and schools who called on me to help them when nobody else would give me a chance. So, even now when I do my blackout dates, the Varsity games are first, and JH is second.