View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 02:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Everyone does not follow to the letter.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm not going to take a side in this issue, but I would like it to just be noted that the reason games aren't traditionally played on Sunday has to do with religion. Why respect some people's religion and not others? If there were several folks in this denomination, would that make a difference? If this guy were the star player on the team expected to win the tournament, would that make a difference? It's a tough call, and not at all clear cut.

And the part about the golf match really bugs me. "We can make adjustments for some people, and not for others." Hmmm...
Well Juulie, I do not think that is a good argument. If you adjust everything for one person or things that might affect a very small percentage, then you will never stop doing it. In the area I live, there are many communities that many are Jewish. So those communities, because of the population celebrates Yom Kuppur, they do not have school during days that other that particular Jewish Holiday. And because it is during the Football Season, those schools move their games on Thursday to accomidate the holiday. I have done a varsity game on Thursday (before Yom Kuppur) the last two years. But only those schools that have a very large Jewish communities take days off from school. Every other school district, does not close school to do this. Those kids that are Jewish in those other communities, have to just skip school if they do not live in one of those Jewish communities. The entire state does not take off, because some folks have a religious reason to take off.

And Juulie, they still play games on Sunday. Maybe school districts do not at the HS level, but they do in the NCAA and many other sporting events. And if Sunday is a "Holy Day," many Christians still participate on that day, despite what religious attitudes might be out there. This is why it comes down to choices. You either get in line, or you stay away. I do not think anyone religion is the issue here. It comes down to what you believe or if your if what you believe is really conflicted by playing a game. It is afterall a game. And if you feel like playing a game affects your religious practices, then maybe that game is not for you.

Just an opinion.

Peace