View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 08, 2003, 02:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

I find this discussion extremely interesting, because I see myself in there somewhere.

I am only scheduled to work varsity HS and above this season. I will work some youth games on Saturday mornings, but only because these are people I like working for -- I certainly don't look forward to the basketball itself.

For me, the excitement of working sports is the challenge it gives me. I am simply not challenged working JH basketball and therefore I do not enjoy it. When one would much rather be home than working a game, it is better that someone else works it. There are levels of baseball I feel the same way about.

Would I look nonchalant working a JH game? Probably. My mechanics are pretty sharp, but I do probably look quite a bit more relaxed than your typical JH official. Actually, I would probably get in more trouble because I would be trying to apply a varsity level of advantage/disadvantage and allowing quite a bit more contact than is customary at that level.

I think the worse thing you can do, Ace, is pass judgement on this D-I official. I have no idea why a D-I official is even working a JH game, but I do know that he can probably call a decent game even if he isn't going all the way under as lead. The experience does help.