View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

ACE

ACE

Some observations from an old-timer. I have worked basketball off and on for 30 years. My job has interrupted my officiating career, but that's ok. I also have worked football off and on for 25 years. I happen to like FB better because of the teamwork in our crews and just being outdoors.

Moving up is not all it is cracked up to be. Work at the level at which you feel most comfortable. That level might change. Our FB crew had the opportunity to move up to the college level and we did it for 3 years. Due to changes in the geographics of the league because of restructuring with another league, they no longer needed a crew from our area. It was a good experience, but as I look back, I realize that I enjoy HS games better. It's Friday night, you have young kids and you can be a 'teacher' as well as an official when working with young kids. College required too much travel and it just wasn't as enjoyable. The coaches are crazier and I found it wasn't nearly much fun as HS. This year I did some JHS as well and worked with younger officials.

I do this because I like it and I know there is a need for officials at all levels. I also like to help new officials. We lose too many officials after they get started because they don't get the help needed and then they got in tough situations and we all know how rough coaches and fans can be if you screw up. They get burned and quit.

Last night I worked my first basketball in over 8 years. I was fortunate enough to work a HS scrimmage with two other guys and I kept asking questions about mechanics and rules. It's amazing how things change and I was relieved to get some help. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

Remember, whatever level you are working, it is like the "Final Four" to those kiids!

Have a great season and hang in there. It only gets better!