View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The only way that you can end up with an ejection in this case is if you call the elbow contact a flagrant personal foul. Hitting someone with an elbow doesn't really fit the definition of "fighting".
you're wrong about the fighting. Anybody throws an elbow hard and makes contact, that's not just an intentional personal, it's flagrant and they're out. To do otherwise is to invite mayhem.
[/B]
Who said it was an intentional personal foul? As written above, I said that if you ejected someone, it had to be a flagrant personal foul. Rule 4-19-4 backs that up completely. If you wanna call that flagrant personal foul for throwing an elbow "fighting", be my guest. I wouldn't. Imo, the elbow could be a flagrant act, but if I did call it that, I would never call that particular flagrant act "fighting". I'd call it a "deliberate attempt to injure". I save "fighting" for someone that actually throws a punch or tries to kick somebody.

Btw, riddle me this,Batman:
Rule 4-18-1 Fighting- " Fighting includes...an attempt to strike,punch or kick an opponent with a fist,hands,arms,legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made".
So,by the above rule,if a player throws a punch and it misses,you can call it "fighting", charge the player with a flagrant foul,and then eject him. My question to you now is- "if a player throws an elbow that misses, are you still going to call this "fighting" and then eject him for it? Please check out R9-13-1Penalty before you answer.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 5th, 2003 at 08:49 PM]