View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Unhappy

Last night I (novice) had my first ever "official" game (aside from the recball over the summer). It was a Boys JV Pre-season game. Finesse team (away) v. Streetballer team (home). Pretty much a blowout with the finesse on top throughout.

Anyway, the entire first half, my partner (senior ref) called all the fouls. I didn't have one! Partner stayed in his area too. Since we switched as mechanically correct, fouls were pretty balanced for both teams. I honestly did not see any adv/disadv or any kind of fouls in my area, whether L or T. After talking it over with partner at halftime, I only called about 5 fouls total for both teams during the second half. That's all I saw; can't call what I don't see, right? Home coach was riding me the entire game because he thought it was lopsided that only one ref was calling fouls.

After the game, I immediately called my Assignor/Evaluator/Mentor/etc. to describe what happened, how overall the game went well, but the calls seemed slanted. She told me next time to note how many calls partner is making, and should match up after it begins to appear that it is becoming "lopsided." She also told me to start moving a lil more to get better positioning (which i thought was doing okay, but maybe will work on a bit more).

Any mental notes I should take away from this game desc.? Since I'm still "inside" the game, was wondering if anyone had any advice from the "outside looking in" to help this novice ref...

Thanks