View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2001, 10:02am
In Memoriam

Re: Trick Play & Stupid Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by bainemc
Embarassing call by 1st year official.

On a throw in under A1 basket, I had already started counting, 2 seconds into the count A1 Coach start yelling, "let A2 throw it in. A2 heads toward A1, A1 hands A2 the ball while inbounds, as I begin blowing my whistle A2 shots the ball into his bucket. BOOM, it hit me, dang it I screwed that one.

I said it was an inadvertant whistle, bucket counts. Boy did the B Coach go crazy. I had explain that there was no defensive player anywhere near A2, who received the throw in and made the bucket. I tried to explain that A team had no violation. Boy was he not happy.

Other than doing something wrong to begin with, is there any other way to handle it after it happens. Any suggestions from you veterans..

Rookie in training

PS
Just after this bucket and explanation to B Coach, I had realized that in order to start this trick play, A Coach had com all the way out of his box on the sideline, maybe as far as the free throw line. Since this play caught me off guard, and the other coach got ticked, I warned A Coach that next time that far out of his box; especially to crank up a trick play, he would get the Big T.

[Edited by bainemc on Jan 16th, 2001 at 11:27 PM]
RiT,
All you could do, in my mind, is to tell Coach B, "Sorry! I got tricked as bad as your players got tircked. It won't happen again."
mick