View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

This is my second year as an official and I have been fortunate enough to get a decent share of varsity assignments due in large part to working a lot of games and learning from my partners. I think telling anyone involved with the game (besides your partner, of course), or having your partner say that you are a rookie is a cop out. You are an official working that game and rookie or 20 year vet, there is an expectation that you have the ability to administer the game properly and to know the rules and the mechanics. Don't make excuses to the coaches or to yourself.

Dealing with coaches is another issue that rookies should learn to deal with on their own. There's nothing worse than a veteran trying to bail a rookie out with a coach because then the rookie will never be able to establish his level of tolerence and will continue to look toward his partner rather than to confront the problem himself. You only learn through experience.

Finally, as a young official, I want my partner to be brutally honest with me on the things that I do well and my weak spots. If a young official solicits advice after the game, be as honest as possible, that's how he can evaluate his game best and filter the different advice he gets from his partners. Unnecessary positive comments may only serve to reinforce a weakness. Be careful what you say and keep the tone of the conversation positive, even if you have a lot of advice to offer. Sorry for rambling on.