Thread: Comebacks
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 04:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Does not work for everybody.

You have to work with your personality. For some "comebacks" work for them, others it is a disaster.

I had a game Wednesday and I had a new varsity coach complaining about "traveling" and "that is a push" early in the game. We were doing a 3 Person game, so I turned to the coach and said, "this is a varsity game, we are not going to allow you to complain about every little thing." He apparantly got the message and shut up the rest of the evening for the most part. At the time he was winning by about 10 points or more and let it go.

Now that worked for me because of who I am and who I was working with. That is not going to work for someone that has not gained a reputation for "not putting up with crap" as opposed to someone that they have no clue what you can do as an official. So I agree with most that "comebacks" are not the way to go, unless you have been around the block enough to know what you can get away with. Some coaches just ignoring them is the best things and others you have to nip it in the bud immediately. The only way you will know the difference, is by having some years under your belt.

Peace