View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

FWIW

I agree, Eye contact with your partner is essential; first game, the next game, EVERY GAME.

The thing I remember about my first season was that the games took a lot of energy and created a lot of anxiety.

As a rookie, I was trying to watch EVERYTHING and not seeing much of ANYTHING. It felt like I was watching a video in fast-forward, only getting bits and pieces of the action. With experience, officials develop "filters" which allow them to efficiently sort out the important action vs. tertiary activity. These filters "slow down" the game.

Ball watching was another major obstacle as a rookie. Primary, schlimary... I needed to know what was happening with the ball.

The other area that I struggled with as a "greenie" was my lack of confidence in understanding the rules. I was a late bloomer (35 yrs old) and had not been actively involved in basketball since I left school 17 years earlier. My niavety got me into trouble a few times. Have you ever had a 5-second closely-guarded call in the BACKCOURT?

I am happy to report that with active involvement in this forum and assistance from a few very qualified mentors I am working a fairly solid varsity schedule.

Bottom Line: Have Fun and everything will go better!

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving All!!!