Thread: REF GEAR
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Thanks,

I actually enjoy both sports and i referee football sometimes if needed - my favorite has always been baseball and it comes natural to me. This is my 2nd year to basketball and its still new. As i said im only 16 but i wont read anything but rule books, i was told i was born with a "zebra skin" and a whistle around my neck. I dont take anything from anyone (esp . coaches) but i always warn, or make a mental note to overlook it - im there to ref not to listen to comments unless they have some not nice words then *tweet* Technical. However you are right, i see it all and i enjoy it. This year should be a better year.

You also right - i have my own gear for baseball, (chest prot, shinguards, mask etc.... and i have even taught other umps how to ump) (Even Adults!!!) so my love for reffing are in this order ------- 1) Baseball 5 yrs 2) basketball 2 yrs 3) Football (popwarner) when needed and my rec dept. doesnt care what the refs/umps look like as long as they & I quote "kinda know the rules" i just have a problem since i read the rules & case books verbadem that i am sometimes not sure of myself when i should apply them

The MAIN PROBLEM I HAVE WITH BASKETBALL reffing is that you can go 2 seconds a blow a whistle or once in a game. (granted that would be pathetic) But in baseball its either ball, strike, safe, out etc... Definate calls........ Im always told im a great ref cause i know what im talking about but in basketball im not sure of myself yet