Thread: REF GEAR
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
"I have seen horror stories and have seen the best/worst of it all."

Yeah thas what I thought too, and then I called this middle school game the other night for another official who couldnt make it intime from her varsity game.... yeah... you'll see worst, and you'll see better. 8th grade game.. DUNK! pretty cool. basketball is a different breed than baseball... Spend time on one before moving to another. I went from basketball to baseball after 3 years. If I add another sport to officiate it will probably be volleyball or football. And I'll wait atleast 3 years before I try and do that. But my main focus is basketball. I think coming from baseball you'd have a hard time going to basketball I may be wrong. Recreation leagues dont usualy care too much about what you wear. A league I called in last year (which im not returning to) only asked that u wore a striped shirt of some sort and had a whistle with black shorts or pants. After that it didnt matter. Baseball they were really adimant about but thats because its another set of commishoners for that. Good luck to you. And something I've learnend for fact this yeari s what when you move up you havn't arrived(even if you were asked). You've just gotten there. My thinking is much more humble than it was before the season started. You'll meet alot of people who could careless about your previous experince with another sport. I know.... I had a football referee who coaches basketball tell me all kinds of things the ohter night. I shrugged it off because A)He's not really a football official (thank goodness for chapter websites) and B) The stuff he said was only stuff that his players were doing. Basketball coaches are closer to you than in baseball and you have to learn to take alot more. Ilet so many baseball coaches get away with comments this past season becuase I'm used to takeing the constant abuse... I was told my coach discipline/ejection count was too little for the number of times coaches were called into the comish's office saturday morning about thier behavior only becasue my co-umpire reported it. The most part importnat thing in basketball - is being in the right position - watching your primary, and that it is not the NBA. The NBA is not basketball. Its entertainment. I'd love to make it to that level though! Boy would i!