View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Last year, my first year, I always wanted my partner to be the only one in the gym who knew I was a rookie.

I asked him to watch one particular thing each time, either a mechanic or a call I was consistently missing. During half time we would discuss one or two calls max that he or I had a question about.

After the game we would talk about a few other plays that could have been different. A lot of why's and how's were exchanged both ways.

I liked to make sure I had my partner's name also, especially if I liked working with him, so I could see if we were working together again and keep in mind what we had talked about and build on it for the next time.

As for keeping the coaches off of his back, kind of get an idea of his temperment first. If he seems like he can handle it, no big deal. If he is sensitive, then by all means, step in. Talk about that during a TO or at half time. See how he feels about the coaches. If the coach has a reputation, as one did in a game I did last year with a guy who was younger (but more experienced) than I, then you need to tell him straight out to stay off this guy. Take more of the burden on yourself and tell your partner you will handle him. Even if you don't say a word to the coach, it makes your partner feel like he is not alone.

[Edited by dsturdy5 on Nov 26th, 2003 at 12:14 PM]