View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I will tell you what I remember from the first games I officiated.

1) I wanted to know what I did wrong and what could be improved. Of course, any critique is always taken better when it is accompanied by at least one positive. If this new official wants to move up then he will really appreciate honesty.

2) I would not think that the coaches need to know it is his first game. Your partner is going to be nervous enough as it is. I would just go out like you would any other game. Hopefully the coaches in a youth catholic won't need to be 'reigned in' too much. :-)

3) I would say that a really good pre-game and then discussion at half-time will help a lot. Also, you don't want to feel like you are covering the entire court, but you may have to help out once-in-awhile. Don't take every call you see in his area, that will just make it a bad situation for him and he won't get anything out of the game.

My very first games were 3rd & 4th graders in a Saturday youth league. It wasn't good basketball but I learned a lot. Then when I moved to Junior High and High School after that I learned a lot more (seemed like starting all over again), but I am very happy that I had the experience with the younger kids and the game in general.

I hope this helps, good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

[Edited by huskyz on Nov 26th, 2003 at 12:00 PM]