View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Reply to Mark

In response to Mark's questions: (As best I can)

1) B1 momentum in getting to the spot to defend carried her with her weigh going backward. She was not steady on her feet.

2) B1 was out of position by being on the wrong side of A1. This happen because she arrived slightly late to defend and couldn't get to the proper position. Because A1 (with her back to the basket) was a right handed shot A1 would normally turn toward the basket going to her right hand to shoot or lay the ball in using the left hand to create space. B1 was on the opposite side (weak side) of A1, in my opinion out of the best defensive position. She was not directly between A1 and the basket, more to the side.

3) BUT, even though B1 had arrived late she had established LGP prior to A1's pivot and kept it during the exchange. She had two feet touching the playing court and had her torso facing A1.

4) The play ends by A1 instead of turning to her strong side
(right) goes the opposite way (into B1's weak side defensive position) and strikes B1 in the face with her elbow/arm. B1 because she was on that side had her face directly in the path of A1 offensive move. She was not directly between A1 and the basket but more to the side.

This maybe information overload is what I observed in making my no call. This situation may be tough to judge without seeing it. But I still think the no call is the right one.