View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Live ball??

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by CuriousFan
I'm sure this have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in the topic list...

OHAA (Ohio HS Athlitic ***.) game. About one minute left in the geme, B down by 3. A1 gets the pass, B1 defends closely and as A1 tries to pass, B1 fouls attempting to make the steal. Immediately after B1 passes the ball, B1 turns and punches A1 in the stomach (grazed).

Is it a technical? When/Why wouldn't it be?

Thank you in advance for your comments

I do not have my rule books in front of me but I am going to give the posting a go at it.

Since this game was probably played last night, it was either a boys' or girls' jr. H.S. game, because the freshmen, jr. varsity, and varsity regular seasons have not started yet, or it could have been during a scrimmage game.

Under both NFHS and NCAA rules, the definition of fighting does not state specifically state that a fighting foul is a technical foul and the definition of a flagrant foul includes some of the attributes of a fighting foul that are found in the definition of a fighting foul, but in the technical foul section of Rule 10, it states that a fighting foul is technical foul.

The foul described in the originally posting could be either a fighting foul and therefore a techincal foul or it could be a flagrant personal foul (because there was contact while the ball was live).

How would I have called it under NFHS rules? Since there was contact, I would have charged B1 with a flagrant personal foul. B1 is ejected, A1 shoots two free throws, and Team A gets the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of B1 foul.

The fighting foul is cumbersome to apply, and if one just takes the time to apply the rules as they are written, the net effect is the same.

Why do you say that there was contact while the ball was live? In the situation B1 fouls A1 while A1 is attempting a pass, it is after the foul on the pass that the punch occurs. The ball becomes dead when a foul occurs (unless it is during a try/tap/free throw is in flight.