View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Take it for what it is worth.

Just like many things I say, folks try to turn it into something bigger than what it really is. Or make my comments into a mountain out of a molehill. The reality is that there are always exceptions to any rule. But if someone wants to work in the place I live, you will be strongly encouraged to wear beltless pants. Depending on the association, you will be told to "never think about" wearing belted pants.

When we had our IACAO Clinic earlier this month, I did not see Gerry Davis Sports or Honig's have belted pants on display. I did not see them selling belts or anything that associated with belted pants. That tells me that there is a trend that is expected and that trend is put up front. Of course you can still buy belted pants and even a collared shirt in some cases, but that does not mean it is expected. No different than doing a NF game and using many known NCAA mechanics. It might not say you are a bad official, but it does say something about you. What it says can be good and sometimes it could be bad.

I am not saying this is the dark or sharing an original idea. But when I officiated lower level ball, I saw most of the varsity officials wearing beltless pants. And now that I am a varsity and college official, I can count on one hand the times I have worked in my current area that someone had belted pants on during a varsity game. Now I see them much more often at the lower levels, but that can speak for itself.

Peace