Thread: E.T. Colvin
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Focus

Quote:
Originally posted by KBoy
The problem is that different individuals and different teams have different goals. Most of the ASA tournaments are supposed to be set up for the local league teams to compete against other league teams from across the country; The competition has changed the focus to getting the best team together to play tournaments. ASA has made some attempt to keep the league team concept together.

Obviously you can't please all of the people all of the time, so those people that have different views, whether it be about winning, playing for a "geographic" national championship or whatever, will form their own groups to satisfy their own needs.

While not perfect, I think ASA still does a good job at keeping the closest thing resembling a true national championship at all levels of play? I do not necessarily agree with everyone in ASA all the time, but I do believe they are trying to change with the times without abandoning the tried and true loyal members.
What you are referring to is handled by ASA and known as "B" ball as opposed to JO Gold or A ball which is probably a majority of "travel ball" teams.