View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Is the case play the one where the batter hits the ball over the fence but is called out and ejected because he threw the bat?
Yes.

Quote:
At last year's pre-season meeting, several UICs acted as if the out-for-USC rule had always been there, claiming that a dirty crash at home plate had always been an out as well as an ejection, even if the ball was nowhere near the catcher. I was just filling in for our guy, so I kept my mouth shut, but I felt like asking where that rule had been hiding in the book.
The rule is not there even now. The case play references 10-1K to justify the OUT call, but all 10-1K says is the umpire will call any player OUT who is OUT.

Personally, I have no problem making the call if the situation presents itself, although I would expect a knowledgable coach to dispute the OUT and without a rule backing up the case play, if protested, it would be a crap shoot whether the call would be upheld, IMO.

It would just be a lot cleaner if ASA would back up this particular interpretation with an actual rule.