Thread: Family Business
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I live in a large metropolitan area and I have been involved in a youth basketball league for several years - both on the governing board and as an official. In the past we contracted with an officials' association to supply officials for our games. This year we hired our own scheduler and have been trying to hire for ourselves. As part of that process we have recruited several high school students and have started training them. My teenage son attended a couple of clinics and I worked with him for several games. He regularly officiates third and fourth grade games (with a more experienced official). In a conversation with the scheduler I learned that there were several father/son officiating teams (mother/daughter?) in our league and throughout the broader area. Do you all see a lot of father/son officials (parent/child?)in your areas? In our area it seems the kids have developed and have progressed very quickly. This topic may be worth an article by the owners of the web site. Feedback?