View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
Last night I had a middle school game. Both teams were very good. Toward the end of the game things get tight, and in one play particularly I was lead on a fast break and there was one offense and two defense. Offense goes up for layup, first defender make a legit attempt at a block and fouls, I blow my whistle. Almost immediately the second defender creams the offensive player making no attempt at the ball, my partner blows his whistle and calls intentional foul on the second defender. Not sure what the correct procedure would be but we gave two shots and the ball. The question mainly is this, Was the second foul a dead ball foul?, and Should we have penalized both fouls? I am slightly confused on this call becasue I thought the ball was live, when a shooter is fouled, until the shooter lands, or the shot is made or missed.
It was a crazy play and happened so fast. Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys...
No, the second foul wasn't a dead ball foul. If it was, it would be a T (which only changes the spot of the throw-in, in this example).

Multiple fouls, one of which is flagrant.

Count the basket (if the ball went in), one FT for the first foul, two FTs for the second foul, ball out of bounds.

The number of FTs doesn't depend (in this case) on whether the ball went in.