View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Usually

I think in most cases one would call the first foul and ignore the second. If everyone was okay and you stuck around long enough to ensure a fight didn't start, you could probably get away with just this one foul. However, if you felt the second foul was very severe (player was hurt) and truly was intentional then the proper call would likely be a flagrant technical ==> ejection.

I would have had to been there to see the result.

We have had similar discussions here before ... like shooter is fouled and then comes down onto a legally positioned defender to commit a PC foul? Do you call both? Do reason the the first caused the second and therefore ignore the PC foul? Severity/intent/tone of the game has a lot to with what you should call on this play. Generally only the first foul is called but in my opinion it needs to be obvious that you have noted the situation and noted who the involved players were. You've got to stick around for this type of a play and not just run away to make your report. Ensure the peace or penalize appropriately.

Two appropriate casebook plays are 4.19.11 and 4.19.6. However, I have never seen either of these plays called this way; I'm sure some here on the board probably have had these experiences and have called them according to the rulebook. We will have to await their answers.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 13th, 2003 at 04:05 PM]