View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Hardest games to do

Yes, this happens quite a bit in the rec league, but happened over Christmas break also.

I went to watch my son play in a freshman tournament at a local HS in a different school district. The games were being officiated by two football coaches from the school who had no experience in officiating. When I asked them if the had officials, they said the association assigned them no-one and they needed help. I agreed to help them and wound up calling 12 games in 2 days. 2 of the games I called involved my son's team. I told the organizers that if they had anyone else, they should call the game, but no one else was available and they asked me to call them. I said I would only if both coaches understood the situation and agreed to me calling.

The games went well, with my son's team winning one and losing one (by one point) to their archrival.

My thoughts were that having at least one official on the floor with some help is better than the alternative and the coaches agreed.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) my son did not play much due to a sore knee (which he broke the next week)... I just did not realize he was out.