View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hello everyone. I'm a high school football official, but also an advid basketball fan. Before our season starts, we receive 3-4 different officiating manuals that covers the rules and situations. Football is a game of many rules, but it seems to me that basketball has significantly fewer rules. I have some friends that officiate both football and basketball and they state that you all receive the same manuals before the basketball season and that they are just as thick as the football ones. I've sat down and tried to think of the different penalties and fouls in basketball, but can't come up with that many. I guess my question just comes out of ignorance of never having officiated basketball, but are there that many different situations or things that can happen as comparted to say football? I can only name foul, technical foul, traveling, double dribble, goal tending, palming, flagrant foul, up and down. Some of those terms may just come from the playground in my head. Again, please forgive my ignorance. I was just curious on your feedback.